- 8 Best Ways to Tell When It's Time to Replace Your Home Air Conditioning System Filters
- How often should you replace your home air filter?
- What happens if you don't replace your air filter and why it's so important?
- What to do if you don't have a replacement air filter on hand
Are you one of those people who dread cleaning? Well, get ready to add air filter changing to your list of dreaded tasks, because it’s definitely something that needs to be done on a regular basis. In fact, experts say that you should change your home air filter at least every three months. But how can you tell when it’s time for a change? Here are some signs that it might be time to replace your old filter:
8 Best Ways to Tell When It’s Time to Replace Your Home Air Conditioning System Filters
If you’re not sure whether it’s time to change your air filter, here are some signs that it might be time:
- The air in your home feels stuffy or stale.
- You can see dust buildup on surfaces around your home.
- Your energy bills have increased, even though you haven’t changed your energy use.
- You or someone in your household has been suffering from unexplained allergies or respiratory problems.
- There’s a lot of dust near the air vents.
- Your home will take longer to heat up or cool down.
- The AC unit is too hot.
- You can’t remember the last time you changed your air filter.
If any of these sound familiar, it’s probably time to change your air filter. And don’t worry, it’s not as difficult as it might seem.
How often should you replace your home air filter?
For most homes, the answer is once every three months. Of course, this can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of air filter you have, the size of your home, the number of pets you have, and whether anyone in your household suffers from allergies or asthma.
- Change your air filter every 90 days or 3 months
- Change your air filter every 60 days, or 2 months if you have pets
- Change your air filter every 20-45 days if you have pets and people with allergies or respiratory conditions
- Vacation homes or vacant homes that don’t see much use can typically wait to change out filters every 9-12 months
Generally, the more you use your home, the more often you need to change your air filter.
What happens if you don’t replace your air filter and why it’s so important?
If you don’t change your AC filter, it will stop working well. The filter won’t be able to clean the air, and dirt and other contaminants will get into the HVAC system.
Dust can cause the fan motors and valves in an AC to stop working. This makes it harder for the AC to blow air, so it uses more power. This makes the AC less energy efficient and sometimes can cause the AC to break down.
Dirty filters also make the AC work harder, which can shorten its lifespan. In extreme cases, a very dirty or clogged air filter can cause an AC to overheat and stop working. This is especially true if the AC is already old or in poor condition.
The next thing you need to worry about is the other contaminants that enter a dirty system. The only type of filters that can catch allergens and spores are HEPA or high-energy particulate air filters.
These filters are much finer than other filters. They can screen out tiny particles like allergens, pollen, dander, and mold spores. The ratings go from MERV 1 to 20.
The higher the rating, the more effective it is at catching small particles. HEPA filters give you better indoor air quality overall by helping to reduce pollutants in the air.
There are a lot of things that can happen if you don’t replace your home air filter. So, save yourself the headache and money, and change your air filter every three months. Your AC will thank you for it!
What to do if you don’t have a replacement air filter on hand
If you don’t have a replacement filter on hand and you need to change your air filter, there are a few things you can do.
If the filter is washable, take it out and clean it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This will buy you some time until you can get a replacement filter.
If the filter is not washable, you can try vacuuming it. This will remove some of the dust and debris, but it won’t be as effective as a new filter.
The best thing you can do is to get a replacement filter as soon as possible. This will help improve the air quality in your home and keep your HVAC system running properly.
Ordering filters online is easy, and many stores offer free shipping if you spend above a certain amount. Online stores also have a big selection of filters to choose from, so you can find the right one for your home.
Replacing your home air filter is an important task that many homeowners forget about. However, it’s crucial to do in order to maintain a healthy indoor environment and keep your HVAC system running properly. In this article, we’ve outlined how often you should replace your air filter and what happens if you don’t. We’ve also provided some tips on what to do if you don’t have a replacement filter on hand. So, be sure to bookmark this page for future reference and head over to an online store to order a new air filter today!