Coldwater is refreshing and invigorating, perfect for the summertime. This is why many people use an air conditioner to cool down their home or office during hot weather. However, there are some questions about whether or not this cold water can be used safely in other ways like bathing and washing hair. Let’s explore what the experts have to say on the subject!
You may not know it, but the water coming out of your air conditioner can be used for bathing and hair washing.
Technically, the water that drips out of your air conditioner is basically condensed water that accumulates on the copper pipe that cools your air.
This water is basically drawn from the air and is pretty clean! There are absolutely no chemicals or minerals dissolved in this water and water dripping from an air conditioner is cleaner than the drinking water supply in some countries.
- Is the water from an air conditioner safe for bathing and showering
- Can I wash my hair with air conditioner water?
- What can AC water be used for?
- Is the water from an air conditioner safe for cooking?
- Is the water from an air conditioner safe for doing laundry?
- Is the water from an air conditioner safe to drink
- Is air conditioner water safe for pets?
- Is air conditioner water safe for plants?
Is the water from an air conditioner safe for bathing and showering
Yes, the water from your air conditioner can be used for bathing and hair washing, as it contains evaporated moisture from the cold coils.
The condensation dripping from the a/c drain hose is free of chlorine, fluoride, and salt, found in tap water.
You can safely bathe or shower with water from an air conditioner.
It’s typical for your air conditioner to drain 5-20 gallons of water per day during the summer when it’s humid. We must make a distinction, though. It is completely normal for your AC to drain 5-20 gallons of water outside of your home, through the condensate drain. (It’s UNNORM to have any amount of water inside your house around your indoor AC unit)
Can I wash my hair with air conditioner water?
It again depends on how clean your air conditioner is. If the water is clean and clear, then yes you can use it to wash your hair. If your AC’s drain is not clean and there are other particles than just water coming out, then it would be best not to use that water on your hair or on your body.
The water from your AC is distilled and distilled water removes all hair residues from your hair and scalp as it is the purest form of water. It’s also possible that it will smooth and soften your hair.
What can AC water be used for?
Water from the air conditioner is basically distilled water and is safe to use for many things. For instance, you can:
- Washing windows and tiled surfaces. A/C condensate is also a good option for outdoor tasks like washing patio floors and garden paving, your automobile, and garden furniture.
- Washing delicate hand-washables in particular.
- You can get distilled water for your steam iron from the air conditioner. Do not buy it.
- It is beneficial to a plant. Whether you have a few potted plants on a sunny windowsill or an entire vegetable garden, use A/C condensate to water your plants.
- You can use it for flushing toilets
- Use it to wash your hands, face, and dishes
Is the water from an air conditioner safe for cooking?
You should not cook with water from your air conditioner as you can not know how clean your air conditioner is. Don’t gamble with your health by cooking with water from your air conditioner.
Is the water from an air conditioner safe for doing laundry?
You can wash your clothes with water from your air conditioner. The water from your AC is distilled water which means it is clean and there are no particles.
Filtered water is advised for laundry because it is soft water and detergents may perform significantly better when the water isn’t hard. Furthermore, there will be no residue on the clothes, as can be seen when washing with tap water.
Is the water from an air conditioner safe to drink
Although A/C drip water isn’t healthy to drink because you can’t tell how pure it is until it leaves the AC unit.
It’s essentially a kind of distilled water that lacks essential calcium, magnesium, and potassium from natural water sources.
It may be used for emergencies if filtered and sterilized, but it wouldn’t contain the minerals required by humans.
- Water from an air conditioning unit, on the other hand, is not chemically cleansed and is therefore unsuitable for drinking.
- The air conditioner coil may be home to germs and algae that pollute the water.
- Air conditioner water should not be consumed straight away since it must first be filtered, and purified in order for it to be safe.
Is air conditioner water safe for pets?
You should not let your pets drink water from the air conditioner. The reason is that the water may not be clean and can affect their health. If you filter the water it can be used for your pets but why go through all the trouble if you can give your pets clean water from a clean source?
Is air conditioner water safe for plants?
Yes, the water that drains out of the air conditioner is chlorine-free, salt-free, and free of any chemicals, so it may be used to hydrate plants.
Is air conditioner water safe for bathing and showering? Is the water from your AC clean enough to use for these purposes? The answer is yes, but you should know that there are some guidelines that need to be followed.
Don’t drink the water from an air conditioner. Don’t cook with it. You should not give it to pets because the water may not be fit for consumption. You can water your plants with it.
If you follow these guidelines you should be able to use AC water for bathing and showering.